Getting Married? Here's what you need to know

Who can marry us?

  • A religious marriage can be performed by a member of a recognized religious organization authorized to perform marriages in Ontario under the Marriage Act.
  • A civil marriage ceremony can be performed by a Justice of the Peace, Municipal Clerk or their Designate appointed as Marriage Commissioner.

Wedding Officiants

Are you looking for an experienced Wedding Officiant to make your wedding ceremony the best? If so, look no further. The Township of South Stormont has three Marriage Officiants on staff, who have been performing civil marriage ceremonies since 2016. We also have contracted the services of Denise Labelle-Gelinas, a retired City Clerk and Marriage Commissioner.

If you would like to book one of our officiants, please contact Loriann Harbers at 613-534-8889, ext 201.  


  • Marriage Ceremony: $300.00 (includes $60.00 non-refundable fee to reserve a wedding date).
  • Rehearsal Fee: $50.00

All fees are payable by cash only.

About our Ceremonies

Ceremonies can be conducted in Council Chambers at Town Hall, 2 Mille Roches Road, Long Sault during business hours.  Alternatively, we are available to perform the ceremony at the location of your choice during evenings and weekends.

Your wedding should be a customized ceremony, reflecting who you are as individuals and as a couple. To do this, the Officiant will meet with you to discuss the details of your special day and to get to know you a little better. Although every effort is made to accommodate last-minute requests, there can be situations in which demand regrettably exceeds availability. To avoid disappointment, couples are encouraged to reserve their wedding date with an Officiant well in advance.

Our Officiants are happy to accommodate any special requests you would like to incorporate into your ceremony, such as personalized scripts, poems, readings, etc. If you require a biligual or french only ceremony, please contact Denise Labelle-Gelinas at 613-362-0537.

Two witnesses are required and must be fourteen (14) years of age or older.

Photographs and videos are permitted during the ceremony.

Please respect the facilities and do not celebrate with rice or confetti in the Council Chambers, Community Hall, parking lot, entrance or surrounding public areas including sidewalks.

Alcohol or stimulants are not to be used by the celebrants or their witnesses prior to or during the ceremony. If the Officiant believes that alcohol or other stimulants have been used, the ceremony will not proceed.

Do I need a Marriage Licence?

In most cases, if you are being married in a religious or civil ceremony, you must obtain a Marriage Licence through your local municipality.

However, if you are being married in a religious ceremony, you may be eligible to be married by a Publication of Banns (making an announcement of the details of your intent to marry in your church, mosque or synagogue). Speak to your religious official for more information.

How do I get a Marriage Licence or Marriage Certificate?

Marriage Licences are available at the Township of South Stormont, 2 Mille Roches Rd., Long Sault. The fee for a marriage licence is $100.00 for residents and $125.00 for non-residents (payable by cash, cheque or interac). You may download either of the forms by clicking on the following links.