Things to do in South Stormont
On any given weekend in South Stormont, residents and tourist alike can get out and enjoy the outdoors, take in some music and history at a special community event or just relax and enjoy the rural pace of life in South Stormont. Experience local foods fresh from our Farmer's market. Find locally made and grown products that will bring health and happiness to any home. There are attractions, adventure and history along with acres of parks, camp sites, beaches and the unspoiled beauty of the Long Sault Parkway, created with the construction of the massive St. Lawrence Seaway and Robert Saunders Dam. Our Community Events Calendar contains information on events around the Township.
Did you know - Ingleside is home to the 45th parallel, half way between the Equator and the North Pole!
Recreation Parks & Trails
Great Lakes Waterfront Trails
The Township of South Stormont is proud to have almost 60 kilometers of nature trails. Most of the trail through South Stormont follows off-road designated paths. You'll find plenty of natural beauty as you travel through wooded areas and along the St. Lawrence. Highlights of this trip include the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary and the Long Sault Parkway, a lovely scenic ride that takes you over a series of small islands linked by bridges.
South Stormont Recreation Trails
South Stormont maintains and operates the “North-South” trail that stretches from Cornwall Centre Road to historical St. Andrews West. There are entrances to the path on Cornwall Centre Road, Headline Road, and McIntosh Lane. The path is fully paved and measures approximately 5 km. The trail is intended for non-motorized recreational activities. All dogs must be on a leash and owners must clean up after their pets.
Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary
The Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary was established in 1961 on lands acquired by the St. Lawrence Parks Commission after the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The sanctuary covers 9,000 hectares of a variety of wildlife habitats, including: a mature upland forest, early successional woods, old fields, wetlands and open water. Catch glimpses of wildlife, take a leisurely walk through the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary's nature trails, or, partake in one of the special events and environmental programs offered year round. A visit to the Interpretive Centre, bird watching, and wildlife study are just a few of the many activities you can enjoy at the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary.Camping is also available at the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary. It is one of a variety of camping experiences offered by the Parks of the St. Lawrence.
Lost Villages Historical Society & Museum
The Lost Villages of Mille Roches, Moulinette, Wales, Dickinson’s Landing, Farran’s Point, and Aultsville; the hamlets of Maple Grove, Santa Cruz and Woodlands; and the farming community of Sheik’s/Sheek’s Island were not lost through carelessness, they were disposed of with Government approval “for the common good”. Over 6,500 people were displaced in the name of progress for the sake of the St. Lawrence Seaway and International Hydro Electric project. Casualties of progress, the villages and hamlets disappeared beneath the waters of the newly created Lake St. Lawrence, but they stayed alive in the memories of their former residents.
Many of these inhabitants moved into the new towns of Ingleside (New Town #1) and Long Sault (New Town #2), and it was there, twenty years later, that the Historical Society was born. The desire of newcomers to know about the background of these seemingly traditionless towns sparked the desire of residents from the Lost Villages to show and tell the proud heritage to which the new towns were heirs. In 1977, The Lost Villages Historical Society was founded.
Quinn's Inn was built in 1865 by John Sandfield MacDonald, who served as Ontario's First Premier, from 1867-1871.Two years before becoming Premier, Mr. MacDonald built a stagecoach stopover on the site of Quinn's Inn. He was laid to rest directly across from Quinn's Inn in the St. Andrew's Cemetery, one of the oldest in Ontario. Located on what was once the main stagecoach route between Montreal, Kingston and Toronto known variously as the Line Road, the King's Road or Dundas Street. It was Macdonald's wish that the basement of the hotel be kept for use by the parishioners for the serving of lunches after wedding and funerals. The building continued in operation as a hotel until it was gutted by fire in 1879 and was purchased by William and Elizabeth Masterson in 1895, who it is believed, renovated the interior. The building opened under their management as a store, barber's shop and post office a few years later. In 1924 Frank Quinn became owner, followed by his sons Maynard, Alfred and Ernest in 1948. It continued as a general store until 1989 when it was purchased and historically restored by the Quinn family. Currently Quinn's Inn is owned and operated as a restaurant by the Belmore Family, and they are delighted to serve you.
American Civil War Monument
The projects is a combined effort of the Lost Villages Historical Society, the Greys and Blues of Montreal and the Township of South Stormont and will be the first Canadian monument in honour of the 40,000 Canadians who fought in the American Civil War (1861-1865). The monument was unveiled in Ault park, home of the Lost Villages Museum on Saturday, September 16, 2016.
Camping and Beaches
Campgrounds in South Stormont
- Mille Roches Campground
- Woodlands Campground
- McLaren Campground
- Farran Park Campground
- Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary Campground
- Mille Roches Beach and Picnic Area
- Woodlands Beach and Picnic Area
- Farran Park Beach and Picnic Area
- Lakeview Park Beach and Picnic Area
Long Sault Parkway
The Long Sault Parkway is a series of 11 islands that were created from high points of land left after the flooding of the St. Lawrence River during the construction of the Seaway in the 1950's. In fact, several villages once stood where the river now lies, a fascinating story captured at the Lost Villages display on Macdonell Island.
Source : www.stlawrenceparks.com
Family Friendly Activities
Cornwall Motor Speedway
The Cornwall Motor Speedway has a 1/4 mile high banked oval racetrack. Since 1970, every Sunday night during the summer months fans attend to watch various races. They also have a 1/10th mile clay kart track.
The Community Market
The Community Market is a natural/organic market filled with local food and artisanal products. We also offer natural health services and educational workshops. They are open 7 days a week from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM and located at 16133 County Road 36 in Long Sault.